Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Protege by Kailin Gow Book Review




She was young promising composer in search of a master to teach her and advise her.

Serena Singleton was the beautiful up and coming talent brought to the attention of the eccentric, famous, and wildly wealthy Sebastian Sorenson, one of the foremost and most talent composers in Hollywood and in the Academics field.

A chance encounter brings them into an arrangement that turns out beyond their expectations and desire, testing their boundaries.

Who is the student, the protege, and who is the teacher?

Nothing is as it seems in this romantic exotic thriller.



My Review





This is Kailin's step into the Adult romance and I have to say it certainly didn’t disappoint.


Serena Singleton and Sebastian Sorenson Have chemistry that is off the charts. Steamy, hot and certainly sparks you will see flying.


A chance encounter between the pair turns out to be an arrangement that takes them on a journey they never anticipated. Through a whirlwind of twists and turns we find out Sebastian’s dark past – Serena’s hidden past and many other things that were certainly unpredictable.


The storyline takes us on a rollercoaster ride of emotions, to pasts  - between the pair we never saw coming and other factors entwined throughout this read.


The storyline was fluent and easy to read and follow. The chemistry I felt a bit floored when Serena returns to her Master whom is unbeknown a rival. I felt like I had done a big loop - I didn’t think this mixed well among the story at first  – but Kailin made it work none the less and I read on – after my first initial thoughts. It certainly left me curious as to the next encounter.


Serena was a likeable enough character – when we think we know her story we are given a completely different side to her.   I certainly enjoyed the mystery within the pages.


The BDSM elements mentioned were very minor – those who know the lifestyle or read about it will find it mild in comparison to most but still titillating none the less.


A few things Ill mention – as far as the storyline goes. Certain words used to many times on one page get rather repetitive, no background into Serena’s past , aka I’d like to have seen more history between her and her master.

As a parent - I can’t relate to Sebastian’s parents. This stuck like a lump in my throat... But how very true this can be in real life – The rich and famous, tend to think only of themselves and how this may impact on their lives... Sad but very true. Others – turn a blind eye, it doesnt matter what side of town you come from some people just dont know how to protect the ones they love. I can see why Seb is the way he is towards them !


Overall – I really enjoyed Sebastian and Serena’s story (The Protégé) Kailin has done a great job delving into the adult genre.


These characters are likeable, flawed and certainly not perfect. Child hood abuse is brought into the storyline so for all those that it offends this may not be for you. Mention of the BDSM lifestyle is also present.




Big Thank you to Kailin for supplying me with an Arc for review for my honest review and thoughts.

No comments: