Thursday, March 24, 2011

Book Review - Spartan Heart by Kristine Cheney ** The Spartan has captured my heart**

Nestled in the confines within my room , cold and fluey, feeling sorry for myself, sniff sniff -  I decided to read Spartan Heart by Kristine Cheney. I was lucky enough to have won this on another book blog and was ticked pink , doing the happy dance and what not else when Kristine messaged me of my good fortune .  Seeing Kristine's release on February 11 , I  vowed to read this paranormal romance, right or wrong. The cover certainly caught my eye, and the blurb did none to discourage me. So what can I say ** The Spartan has caught my heart **. Here is the book blurb and cover and then my review will follow .

 BOOK BLURB.. 
Sent away to college in America, Evangeline swore she would never return to England. Anger loses its value when tragedy forces her home to assume ownership of the family's beloved Greco-Roman museum.

Placing a foolish, drunken kiss on a Greek statue in the museum's basement, Evangeline unknowingly frees a Spartan prince from an evil oracle's curse. Suddenly, her lonely life is invaded by the rakish man with knowing emerald green eyes who never eats or sleeps, and seems to know her every thought and feeling.

Falling in love is dangerous, especially when it's with a man who has already been claimed by the bitter oracle, Demona. From the moment of her kiss, Evangeline is swept into Dorien's world of mystery, danger, and passion. The oracle's fury only mounts as they unravel Demona's darkest secrets, but not before Demona finds out about their unborn half-breed immortal twins.

Demona uses her knowledge of the future to manipulate and destroy, but sometimes love has a will, and a heart, of its
own.


 Evangeline has flown back to England after nine years of absence to attend the funeral of both her parents whom where Murdered, to inherit their Museum-London's Greco-Roman Museum. In mourning Evangeline finds herself in the treasury room, sad and lonely to find herself besotted with A Spartan statue from 500 BC..  Then it started with a Kiss ....


 Where do I began, I must say this is the first book I have read of Kristine's and I was absolutely besotted. Spartan Heart was filled with heartfelt emotions, romance and love that anyone of us would search till the end of the earth to find. The romance between Evangeline and Dorien was sensual, magical and mesmerizing- Angelic if you may call it !!!!  The electricity between the both of them could cause thunder and lightening and cause any match to light from sheer heat. I found myself giggling at certain parts, grinning from ear to ear and totally and utterly in love with the characters.


 Dorien is  any girls dream,magnificently sculptured, dreamy, hawt !!!!  and romantic and his old ways shine through giving him that air that would make any girl giggle and knees wobble.  His innocence with the new world was refreshing and quite entertaining. His love and lust for Evan, is shown throughout this book, it makes your toes curl and your eyelashes flutter and your heart skip a beat.. ** To be in love **


Evangeline, is a strong and caring person, and  determined to make her dead parents proud and live on with their museum, all she has ever wanted is just to be loved. I enjoyed her character , she seemed very realistic and genuine.


The story starts where Evangeline's both parents are murdered, she is coming to terms with the guilt and the grief that comes with the situation. I found myself, able to relate to this, her emotions, raw and heartfelt and completely haywire, she is finding it hard to cope, her nine year absence adding to her guilt.  I found this very sad and felt myself in her shoes, feeling her pain of loosing a loved one.

We are left wandering who murdered her parents and why? Is Evangeline safe, and who really is this stranger that has bestowed his love for Evan?

 Kristine 's descriptions are very unique almost like poetry , flowing very fluently and every emotion is felt and well envisaged and put forward. Her descriptions are that realistic I could even envisage, Dorien in his attire for the ball ** wink wink ** and Evangeline in her beautiful dress. ** so jealous ** 


Taryn is  Evans  best friend- a friend  anyone could ever want, filled with love, laughter and happiness, her love for Evan shines through and  throughout this book, with a friend like that by your side I'm sure Evan will get through all her good and bad times to comes . * I can see Taryn being their till the very end .


 I enjoyed all the secondary characters even Tommy I had a soft spot for, I liked his timid but forthcoming character. The evil The wicked Demona  from Dorien's past, brings about a different  twist to the storyline, her anger topped by not being able to get what she has wanted her entire life,  to be loved by Dorien. Inflicts pain where she fills fit and is determined right or wrong to get the man she has always loved no matter what. She comes across  a nasty-self centred bitch,, but will surely keep us readers on the edge of our seats !!!


 All the characters blended in well with the story, making it an enjoyable read filled with murder,  love, lust, twists and turns = was almost like being on a roller coaster, till the end !!!! Chapters all flowed fluently, storyline never a dull moment, or pit stop, it was full on till the end. A read that will have you flipping the pages just to get to ..


 THE END.....


 ** I gasped oh no !!!!! flicked through my reader to see what was yet to come ** My heart slowed down and then realized I have only to wait till April 5th ... ** If you want a read to capture your heart, your interest and keep you intrigued till the end SPARTAN HEART is for you !!!!
5/


5 stars to Spartan Heart !

Kristine would love to see you over at her fan page on facebook ;) ask any questions,, check out other reviews or just pop by to say hi..

/AuthorKristineCheneyhttp://www.facebook.com

or if I have intrigued you enough to buy this book  it can be brought at :

http://www.amazon.com/Spartan-Heart-Kristine-Cheney-ebook/dp/B004OYTDIS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300865678&sr=8-1

and this is Kristine's blog !!

http://www.spartanheartbyauthorkristinecheney.blogspot.com/


7 comments:

Spartan Heart Paranormal Romance Saga said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Spartan Heart Paranormal Romance Saga said...

I love it! This is a beautiful and heartfelt review and I absolutely cherish it. I truly feel that you captured the essence of my writing thought. When I edit and read my work, it reads back to me in poetic fashion. I was astonished to hear you say this. You touched on such a private part of me...something I never shared with anyone.

Thank you for reading my book and for taking the time to share your thoughts with others. You are such a wonderful lady.

Hugs, friend.

Kristine Cheney

Anonymous said...

Fantastic review, I too won this book and was excited to read it.......I had been fed up of reading about vampires and werewolves that seems to have over taken everything lately!
This was a refreshing change, I love a good love story and found the story line unique and original.......It has the cliff hanger of all cliffhangers at the end and leaves you gagging to get your hands on the next book........I'm pleased to see we don't have long to wait......Miss Cheney you have made a fan out of me.........even though I could beat you with a stick for leaving me hanging like that lol

Kim Bowman Author said...

wonderful review, girl! Congrats:)

Madame D said...

Great review Kat. Loved it!!

loving the new layout by the way, very sexy ;)

JoAnne Kenrick said...

wonderful review on what sounds like a fantastic book!

alice priday said...

i absoultly adored your review kat!!! everything you said is what i was thinking when i finished it but just couldnt put it down onto paper :) i devoured this book in 2 hours!!!! i want me some spartan warrior!!!!!! i CANNOT wait for number 2!!!!